incubator-general mailing list archives

From Felix Meschberger <fmesc...@adobe.com>
Subject Re: Revisit policy that all IPMC members have commit privs to all incubator repositories.
Date Thu, 06 Apr 2017 11:13:28 GMT
Hi

I think this sounds very reasonable.

+1

Regards
Felix

> Am 06.04.2017 um 07:06 schrieb Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>:
>
> Background, from https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-13804
>
>> With this feedback and review, I believe we're still operating as expected.
>>
>> * Per current policy, IPMC members have commit privileges on all Incubator repositories.
>> * The above is effected through the use of a private GitHub Team
>> * According to users' GitHub preferences, they will Watch new repositories
>> * GitHub is sending notifications of changes, per Watch selections
>>
>> The "answer" here is to Unwatch repositories, as appropriate, and/or
>> to alter the GitHub user account preference for auto-Watching new
>> repositories.
>
> Here's my case:
>
> I believe that asking all IPMC members that request access to *any* ASF github repository
to get notification emails on *all* incubator projects that participate in the gitbox experiment
is unreasonable.

> I believe that asking all IPMC members to individually unwatch each and every repository
as they are created is unreasonable.

> I believe that asking all IPMC members to uncheck "Automatically watch" is unreasonable
as it (a) will result in people being notified for new repositories that they should be watching,
and (b) presumes that people are not participating/watching in other non-ASF GitHub repositories.

> Accordingly, Since I do believe that it is reasonable for every ASF member to get email
on all ASF repositories that they have commit privileges to, I am asking that the IPMC revisit
the current policy that all IPMC members have commit privileges on all Incubator repositories.

> I believe that the alternative is technically feasible: have each podling manage a list
of committers for that podling: