incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Guacamole 0.9.12-incubating (RC1)
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 04:11:23 GMT
On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 8:34 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Does the license of autotools need to be included in LICENSE?
> >
> > Good question. Other projects that use it don't add to license INAL but
> > given the exclusion states you’re allowed to distribute under your own
> > terms [2] I think that’s OK.
> >
> > > I do see reference to autotools being approved for usage within the ASF
> >
> > Correct see [1]
> >

> Right - the main note is that a few files have a mixed ASF and FSF header
> which isn't right either.  But that might be limited to Makefile.in.

For reference, there are quire a few auto-generated files produced by the
GNU Autotools built-in "make dist" target that builds the source .tar.gz.
Though not necessarily pertinent to the release, we have those excluded
from git, so there's a list of what is autogenerated within .gitignore:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-guacamole-server/blob/cbca2f169b708a34dabc72a91a9a2dec653126fb/.gitignore#L22-L46

If something needs to be done to LICENSE, etc. to list GNU Autotools'
terms, please let us know, but I highly doubt we can control whether GNU
Autotools includes its own headers within generated files.

I believe it's possible to force autotools to exclude the ASF headers if we
replace the "#" with "dnl" in all relevant build files [1] ... but since
the generated files will contain portions of the source of the original
build files, I'm not sure stripping the ASF headers would be correct either.

Thanks,

- Mike

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3371239/autoconf-dnl-vs