incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Slack
Date Wed, 22 Mar 2017 21:37:00 GMT
Hi James,

There was a pretty extensive discussion on the netbeans dev list. I’d encourage you to review
this thread https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2dce365d03334c82d31b12c8b3dcad1a925a2f71af75658b8d8a5a07@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

You can get all of the messages in the thread by doing a quick search for “slack” on the
dev@netbeans.apache.org list in lists.apache.org.

My takeaway is that Slack not a substitute for email. But it is useful for ping-pong communication
when people are in the heat of development.

But no decisions are made on Slack, and any discussion there (aside from “add a semicolon
there” and “let’s get lunch") needs to be brought back to the dev list.

The underlying principle is that “if it didn’t happen on dev, then it didn’t happen”.
We strive for open, inclusive communications at Apache and that means attempting to encourage
participation by everyone who wants to, regardless of primary language, time zone, and availability
of tools. (We assume everyone has a device that handles email clients).

Hope this helps.

Craig

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 1:27 PM, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Can someone remind me?  I thought there was a discussion a couple of months
> ago about allowing incubator projects to use Slack for communication.  What
> was the final decision?

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org