incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Slack
Date Sun, 26 Mar 2017 05:58:20 GMT
Hi,

Slack is very convenient for quick communication, but clearly, it doesn't change
that the mailing list is the first communication channel. If discussions happen
on Slack, minute notes/discussion has to be forwarded on the mailing list.

I wonder if we plan to ask for some "pro" Slack account for Apache projects (as
we have license for IntelliJ for example). Now, at Apache Beam, we reached the
max capacity of the Slack free version (90 Slack users on Beam channel and
limited history). We already received new member request that we can't accept
for now.

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB

to review this thread https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2dce365d03334c82d31b12c8b3dcad1a925a2f71af75658b8d8a5a07@%3Cdev.netbeans.apache.org%3E

on the dev@netbeans.apache.org list in lists.apache.org.

> My takeaway is that Slack not a substitute for email. But it is useful for ping-pong
communication when people are in the heat of development.

> But no decisions are made on Slack, and any discussion there (aside from “add a semicolon
there” and “let’s get lunch") needs to be brought back to the dev list.

> The underlying principle is that “if it didn’t happen on dev, then it didn’t happen”.
We strive for open, inclusive communications at Apache and that means attempting to encourage
participation by everyone who wants to, regardless of primary language, time zone, and availability
of tools. (We assume everyone has a device that handles email clients).

> Hope this helps.
>
> Craig
>
>> On Mar 22, 2017, at 1:27 PM, James Bognar <jamesbognar@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Can someone remind me?  I thought there was a discussion a couple of months
>> ago about allowing incubator projects to use Slack for communication.  What
>> was the final decision?
>
> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org

Jean-Baptiste Onofré