incubator-general mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL with exceptions (was Re: [VOTE] Release apache-singa-incubating-1.1.0 (RC1))
Date Sun, 12 Feb 2017 12:06:08 GMT
On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 9:21 PM Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 8:04 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > That's an interesting one.  I'm a bit surprised if that would be
> considered
> > OK for this scenario.  Sure, HTTPD is usually used as a standalone
> server.
> > What happens if you embed HTTPD in your own data parser?  You're
> > effectively violating that license.  This specific case seems very Cat-X
> > me.  Similar to the JSON license "no evil" clause.  I actually don't see
> > how this is a build tool (though its been 5 years since I've had to deal
> > with make).
>
> It cannot really be considered a build tool, but it can be generated
> during a build. We distribute into reduce the build-time dependencies.
> Either way, it needs to be considered further.

Eric, I just want to point out that the purpose of this isn't to beat up on
HTTPD (or any other TLP).  Podlings tend to reference what TLPs do as
canonical and hence correct.  Those oddities tend to turn into "are we sure
that's right" which ends up turning into legal resolutions to better guide
the foundation.

Thanks for taking this on, and apologies for any confusion coming your way.