incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Donating freemarker-online as part of the FreeMarker project, how?
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 18:39:23 GMT
Hello,

This is related to the incubating FreeMarker project.

A company called Kenshoo has developed a simple but handy online
evaluator service for FreeMarker, some 3 years ago, and they are still
hosting it. Because they don't develop this service anymore, and
because timely pull request merging and deployment seems to become an
issue, we would like to bring the source code over to be part of the
FreeMarker project. They are willing to donate the source code to the
ASF.

As of the more technical aspect of this, the FreeMarker project has
multiple Git repos, one for each "product" (one product is the engine
itself, another is the documentation/website generator Ant task, and
yet another is the website content). These are separate products,
because their versioning/releasing is independent. We would like to
add one more such Git repo and product, for freemarker-online.

We are trying to find out what's the most efficient yet legally
acceptable way of doing this. Just as an example, after the repo was
created and we add LICENSE and such, we could, technically, accept a
pull request from Kenshoo if they sign a Corporate CLA. I know it's an
extreme approach as they contribute to an almost empty repo, OTOH we
are talking about only 31 classes and some build files (~160 KB source
code). Anyway, how should we do it?

The source code we want to bring over:
https://github.com/kenshoo/freemarker-online

Note that the 2 contributors from outside Kenshoo are also FreeMarker
contributors, so we can get any papers needed from them (as there was
no CLA signed at Kenshoo).

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany