incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop incubating requirement of Maven artifacts
Date Mon, 02 Jan 2017 19:24:32 GMT
Sure, I will. Thanks.

Regards
JB

On 01/02/2017 07:39 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
> Can you bring this up on the relevant discussion thread?
>
> On Jan 2, 2017 13:14, "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>
>> By legal, I mean that some files may not contain required headers, or part
>> of the code requires refactoring because it belongs to a non active
>> developer (code created before the incubation) or the Software Grant
>> Agreement is not yet signed for instance.
>> I think during the first steps of the project (and so releases), it
>> happens.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 01/02/2017 07:10 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
>>
>>> JB
>>>
>>> Can you clarify what you mean by legal here?
>>>
>>>
>>> On Jan 2, 2017 13:05, "Jean-Baptiste Onofré" <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> -1
>>>
>>> I understand your point, but, even if it's not in the version, having a
>>> keyword that the project is still in incubation is important (from a legal
>>> perspective, I don't talk about the release itself).
>>> In the version, artifactId or classifier don't matter, however, having
>>> this
>>> flag is important IMHO.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB
>>>
>>>
>>> On 01/02/2017 06:22 PM, John D. Ament wrote:
>>>
>>> All,
>>>>
>>>> I'm calling to vote on a proposed policy change.  Current guide at [1]
>>>> indicates that maven artifacts should include incubator (or incubating)
>>>> in
>>>> the version string of maven artifacts.  Its labeled as a best practice,
>>>> not
>>>> a requirement and is not a policy followed on other repository management
>>>> tools (e.g. PyPi).
>>>>
>>>> I therefore push forward that the incubator will cease expecting
>>>> java-based
>>>> projects to publish artifacts with "-incubating" in the version string,
>>>> with the understanding that:
>>>>
>>>> - Incubating is a term used to refer to a project's stability, not a
>>>> release's stability.  It is generally understood that incubating projects
>>>> are not necessarily immature, but may have a potential of failing to
>>>> become
>>>> a TLP.
>>>> - Podling releases are endorsed, the podling itself is not endorsed.  We
>>>> will not approve releases that are blatantly against ASF policies.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [ ] +1 Drop the -incubator/-incubating expectation of maven projects
>>>> [ ] +/0
>>>> [ ] -1 Don't drop because....
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> [1]:
>>>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/release-java.html#best-practice-maven
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> jbonofre@apache.org
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>
>>
>

-- 
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message