incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop incubating requirement of Maven artifacts
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 09:45:50 GMT
On 04.01.2017 07:28, Mark Struberg wrote:
[...]
> I'm a bit surprised that groovy still uses the org.codehaus groupId, but I guess they
have a deal with Ben (the former owner and thus (former?) copyright holder of 'Codehaus').
> So while this will work for now I guess that even groovy will move to org.apache.groovy
in the long term (maybe with a new major version).

A new major version is a big thing for Groovy, but yes. In our view it
is the only realistic way, since people can expect breaking changes
between major versions and that includes in our view package names as
well as group ids.

> It's not a big deal YET, but http://codehaus.org is not reachable anymore. And if anyone
buys this domain he will have a much better position regarding trademarks than we do.
> What if someone buys the codehaus.org domain and publishes own artifacts under org.codehaus.groovy?
Can we even prevent someone else to e.g publish org.codehaus.groovyng artifacts?

Assume we change and 2 months later somebody does that? How is the
situation then any better?

Actually I wonder if Ben would donate the domain to the ASF...

bye Jochen