incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop incubating requirement of Maven artifacts
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 21:20:07 GMT
(late to the party)

-1 (binding) as an ask to table the VOTE and try to reach some better
consensus.

I have to agree with Julian that some more discussion may be prudent
here. There are definitely two divided camps, both of which bring good
points to the table.

* Differing policies for the languages/tools of products that podlings
create (maven projects vs. python/ruby projects). Julian states this
very well.

* A clear definition of what the IPMC thinks "x.y.z-incubating" should
mean and some better public-facing docs on what "incubating releases"
actually mean.
   - Groovy is a great, recent example. They were a very "mature"
software project, but still were "immature" in the terms of an ASF
community (purely speaking of them as being a podling, not a TLP).
Personally, if I see the -incubating suffix on a version, I can
recognize that the *community* is the thing at risk. However, I can also
see how those less affiliated with the incubator could interpret it as
"software quality". John states this very well in the VOTE text itself
-- it leaves me wondering if we couldn't just be more clear out of the
gates.

I also need to re-read the original thread from freemarker (no [DISCUSS]
in the subject and the holidays kept me from reading it closely) to
think about the original stated problem some more.

- Josh

Julian Hyde wrote:
> John,
>
> I see your points, and hopefully you see mine. I think we can agree on one thing: we
have not reached consensus. :)

> The inconsistency among build tools is a red herring. If we want consistency across build
tools (and more importantly across package formats, regardless of the tool used to build them),
let’s first figure out what we want, and apply this to all build tools.