incubator-general mailing list archives

From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Drop incubating requirement of Maven artifacts
Date Tue, 03 Jan 2017 22:25:35 GMT
-1 (binding)

I look at the “-incubating” tag in the same way I do the DISCLAIMER file and the podling
website disclaimer — As an indicator and reminder that a release may not be completely clean
from a licensing/policy perspective.

-Taylor

> On Jan 3, 2017, at 4:20 PM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:
>
> (late to the party)
>
> -1 (binding) as an ask to table the VOTE and try to reach some better consensus.
>
> I have to agree with Julian that some more discussion may be prudent here. There are
definitely two divided camps, both of which bring good points to the table.

> * Differing policies for the languages/tools of products that podlings create (maven
projects vs. python/ruby projects). Julian states this very well.

> * A clear definition of what the IPMC thinks "x.y.z-incubating" should mean and some
better public-facing docs on what "incubating releases" actually mean.
>  - Groovy is a great, recent example. They were a very "mature" software project, but
still were "immature" in the terms of an ASF community (purely speaking of them as being a
podling, not a TLP). Personally, if I see the -incubating suffix on a version, I can recognize
that the *community* is the thing at risk. However, I can also see how those less affiliated
with the incubator could interpret it as "software quality". John states this very well in
the VOTE text itself -- it leaves me wondering if we couldn't just be more clear out of the
gates.

> I also need to re-read the original thread from freemarker (no [DISCUSS] in the subject
and the holidays kept me from reading it closely) to think about the original stated problem
some more.

> - Josh
>
> Julian Hyde wrote:
>> John,
>>
>> I see your points, and hopefully you see mine. I think we can agree on one thing:
we have not reached consensus. :)

>> The inconsistency among build tools is a red herring. If we want consistency across
build tools (and more importantly across package formats, regardless of the tool used to build
them), let’s first figure out what we want, and apply this to all build tools.

>> Julian
>>

>>> On Jan 3, 2017, at 3:34 AM, John D. Ament<johndament@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Carsten, Julian,
>>>
>>> I want to reiterate my notes from a prior message [1] in case there is any
>>> confusion over the ask.  There is a "best practice" around maven specific
>>> releases that has been treated as policy,  [2].  This best practice for
>>> some reason is only applied if you are using the maven build tool.  E.g.
>>> published python packages, ruby gems do not have this requirement.  The
>>> purpose of this thread is to realign maven specific releases with the other
>>> convenience binaries published by podlings.
>>>
>>> This is not intended to drop the -incubator/-incubating tag applied to
>>> source releases.  It was however established in 2008 [3] that releases
>>> published by the incubator were endorsed, the -incubator/incubating tag was
>>> to imply that the project itself was not considered stable and could go
>>> away.
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> [1]:
>>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c6daddf2d564685acdcd14a876bebf392b25c268905b353e36b3cac5@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E