incubator-general mailing list archives

From Tsz Sze <szets...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Ratis for Apache Incubator (Was: Concur for Apache Incubator)
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:27:26 GMT
+1 Ratis sounds great!

BTW, I am working on removing Apache Hadoop dependency (except for the raft-hadoop module)
and more documentations.

Thanks all for the feedbacks!

Regards,
Tsz-Wo

On 12/16/16, 2:33 AM, "Jitendra Pandey" <jitendra@hortonworks.com> wrote:

    I am proposing to rename Concur to Ratis (Latin for Raft).
    If this name is acceptable, I will start a voting thread.

    https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RatisProposal

    Thanks everyone!

    On 11/30/16, 11:01 AM, "Chris Nauroth" <cnauroth@apache.org> wrote:

    >Responding to a few points in the thread:
    >
    >> Jitendra, So considering how strong of a community this is already and
    >>the
    >> success of recent TLP direct projects, what goals do you have for
    >> incubation?  And why incubation over straight to TLP?
    >
    >As hinted by a few others, I would like to see the project's time in the
    >Incubator focus on establishing a repeatable release process (always
    >tricky
    >the first few times for a podling), providing sufficient documentation for
    >usage and contributor onboarding, and establishing community interaction
    >on
    >the mailing lists.  From my knowledge of straight-to-TLP projects, I
    >believe those spun out of "refactoring" pieces of well-established
    >projects
    >into new TLPs, so the spin-offs to some degree were able to inherit these
    >pieces from being previously hosted in the larger project.  In this case,
    >prefer incubation, because Concur is not a spin-off and therefore still
    >needs to establish these pieces for itself.
    >
    >> I think it sounds like an interesting proposal but wonders which
    >> consumers (and potential developers) it is targeting - I wonder about
    >> the strong link to Hortonworks and Hadoop -- is Concur relying on
    >> Hadoop, Hadoop might use Concur, or can Concur be used with many
    >> things, including Hadoop?
    >
    >Our goal is to provide a stand-alone library providing a RAFT
    >implementation.  Although Apache Hadoop ecosystem projects are mentioned
    >as
    >one of the primary targeted use cases, we do not intend to constrain it to
    >usage only within the Hadoop ecosystem or tightly couple it to any
    >particular vendor's distribution of the Hadoop ecosystem.  I could imagine
    >it being viable for usage within pieces of Hadoop or in a proprietary
    >distributed system that I work on at my day job.
    >
    >It is true that the Concur codebase currently has a Maven dependency on
    >Hadoop.  This was largely a matter of coding convenience to pick up
    >helpful
    >utilities for configuration management and networking.  For those
    >knowledgeable of Hadoop, I have listed all "org.apache.hadoop" imports
    >below.  You'll see that this is not tightly coupled to deep pieces of
    >HDFS,
    >YARN, etc., but instead more like helpful utilities.  Whether or not the
    >Hadoop dependency is desirable long-term toward the goal of "stand-alone
    >library" is a question worthy of consideration for the Concur community,
    >though I see that as a technical decision point for the community, not a
    >factor for consideration of whether to accept the incubation proposal.
    >

    >org.apache.hadoop.classification.InterfaceAudience;
    >org.apache.hadoop.classification.InterfaceStability;
    >org.apache.hadoop.conf.Configuration;
    >org.apache.hadoop.fs.ChecksumException;
    >org.apache.hadoop.fs.CommonConfigurationKeysPublic.IPC_CLIENT_CONNECT_MAX_
> [...]

    ?B‹KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKCB•??[œ?œ昧šX™K??K[XZ[?ˆ??™\˜[?][œ?œ昧šX™P?[˜?˜]??˜\?X?K›??‘›??Y??]?[?[??栢[X[™???K[XZ[?ˆ??™\˜[?Z?[???[˜?˜]??˜\?X?K›??