incubator-general mailing list archives

From Daniel Dekany <ddek...@freemail.hu>
Subject Re: Omitting "-incubating" suffix in Maven artifact version attribute for FreeMarker
Date Fri, 30 Dec 2016 17:09:19 GMT
Thursday, December 29, 2016, 9:41:20 PM, Emilian Bold wrote:

În joi, 29 dec. 2016 la 21:44 Martijn Dashorst <martijn.dashorst@gmail.com>
a scris:

> You are trying to fix the wrong thing. The whole idea of the
> -incubating moniker is to communicate to end users that the project
> is inside the incubator, and can fail incubation.

That argument might makes sense for some projects that start their
life here, but in this case it doesn't apply, because the question now
is not if people dare to use FreeMarker, but if which version of it
are they using. Even if we assume the worse, that the incubation fails
and the whole project is terminated and so on, how are users better of
with 2.3.23 (the last non-Apache release) than with 2.3.25-incubating?
I don't see any additional risk in using 2.3.25-incubating versus
2.3.23. (I only see addition risk the other way around.)

> The only and best way to get rid of the -incubating scheme is to
> *graduate*.

Graduating FreeMarker is a different topic, and we will start a thread
for that when there's a consensus regarding that inside the PPMC. The
Maven version suffix is a problem that can be addressed separately.
That we couldn't graduate yet, doesn't make the releases less stable
than the earlier releases from outside Apache.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany