incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Release License Audit
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2016 18:49:30 GMT
Hi Eric,

> On Nov 1, 2016, at 9:30 AM, Eric Friedrich <friede@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Many of the release guidelines mention a license audit of the released
> source files.
>
> Are there any particular requirements as to how this audit is performed?

No. The requirement is that all files be examined to determine if a license notice is needed,
and if so, that the proper license is included in the proper place.

This is a bit time consuming and most projects find that tooling is the best way to do it.

> Can the audit be done manually?

Yes.

> I've seen references to using the Apache RAT tool. Is this use required or
> just suggestion?

Just a strong suggestion.

> How do other podlings typically handle this requirement?

Most that I know of set up RAT to run on a regular basis, so problems can be caught early.

Regards,

Craig

> Thanks,
> Eric