incubator-general mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <john.d.am...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 21:26:52 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:43 PM Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> The proposal looks fine in general, but I'm slightly concerned about:
>    https://github.com/alibaba/RocketMQ/graphs/contributors
>
> It seems that the model so far has been -- through huge blobs of
> code over the wall. Given that the composition of initial committers
> is all from Alibaba I hope their mentors will spend a lot of time
> making sure that "commit early, commit often" mentality prevails.
>
> In addition to that, I can't seem to reconcile the statement:
>    "The source code was opened up in 2012."
> with what I see on GitHub. What am I missing?

So I think these are the same points I was bringing up as well.  I suspect
its a case where there wasn't a ton of open source development on the
product and it was kept internal.

I'm still a bit leary about the "relationship with other apache products"
section still.  I'm not interested in seeing how a podling competes with
other projects (and its a bit surprising, since Bruce is the chair of one
of the competitors), but instead how the podling has synergies with the
other components.  I raised that they're using ASF projects today in their
code base.

Some other ways to address this section:

- How can RocketMQ work with the existing Kafka or ActiveMQ communities to
build cross platform clients?
- How can RocketMQ look to leverage Cassandra, Geode, Derby as backend
persistence stores?

etc..