incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trademark registration
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:00:50 GMT
On 30 November 2016 at 09:51, Ian Dunlop <ianwdunlop@gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw the following on trademark registrations
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/register#register and wondered if
> this was possible for incubator projects or only for those which have
> graduated. Any ideas?

I think it makes most sense for graduated projects; a podling project
is not guaranteed to graduate from the Incubator and might choose to
say move to a GitHub-only model.  This could then require a project
rename beyond removing "Apache", as ASF would have the trademark
registration and there might not be a new legal entity to move the
trademark to.

But that said, I don't think there's anything stopping such a
registration for podlings - not sure if policy-wise that would need to
include "(incubating)", which perhaps would look odd in a trademark.

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718