incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] RocketMQ Incubation Proposal
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2016 09:20:10 GMT
On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:26 PM, John D. Ament <john.d.ament@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm still a bit leary about the "relationship with other apache products"
> section still.  I'm not interested in seeing how a podling competes with
> other projects

Apache projects don't "compete" with anybody. The source code is *offered*
to the public.

As a 501(c)(3), we're specifically disallowed from competing with
commercial organizations. But even within the ASF and other open source
projects, the ASF is simply providing a home for communities to organize,
to grow, to construct software for the public. At its most base level, the
Foundation doesn't care what the project does, how "successful" it is (by
whatever metric), or if ten of its communities all produce software to do
the same thing. Each community might have a different thought, a different
approach, or even something as minor as a different view on release cycles.

All communities are welcome.

Cheers,
-g