incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache CarbonData 0.2.0-incubating release
Date Sat, 19 Nov 2016 09:03:15 GMT
Hi John,

AFAIR, the thrift use was required for CarbonData 0.1.0-incubating
release. The 0.1.0-incubating passed with 3 +1 binding votes (Uma,
Justin, and me).

We agreed that the enforcement of the thrift dependency was not ideal,
that's why we improved the build: the "old style" build is always
possible (with thrift installed of your machine), and for convenience,
we "pre-build" the file format: then the user can build on his machine
without thrift (the file format is downloaded from Maven Central).

In the README.md, we provide the build instructions:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CARBONDATA/Building+CarbonData+And+IDE+Configuration

we can see:

$ mvn clean -DskipTests -Pbuild-with-format install

and we can see thrift as prerequisites.

IMHO, I think we think the build instructions are correct.

As the build instruction are on the wiki (not in the release), if you
consider that the build instructions should be improved, please let us
know, we will update. However, as the build should work on your machine
as soon as you have thrift installed, I don't think we should cancel
this release.

Thoughts ?

Thanks !
Regards