incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [EXAMPLE] bootstrapping (was: Apache Example project?)
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2016 22:43:37 GMT
On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 6:25 PM Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:

> Stian Soiland-Reyes wrote:
> > On 3 October 2016 at 06:30, Luciano Resende<luckbr1975@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> +1,
> >>
> >> I had started something similar, at least on the website side, with best
> >> practices and required branding items.
> >>
> >> Please consider adding it to the "example" project :
> >>
> >> https://github.com/apache/apache-website-template
> >
> > Brilliant - yes, that's exactly the kind of thing I mean!  You've
> > already got a great Community page there:
> >
> https://github.com/apache/apache-website-template/blob/master/site/community.md
> >

> > So - how do we proceed? I suggest to use the [EXAMPLE] tag on this
> > list as there could be a couple of things we need to agree (not
> > discuss!) what best practice actually is.
> >
> > Do we need an IPMC vote?
> >
> > We need to request from infra something like:
> >
> > git repository incubator-example
> >    - w/ pull request sync to general@incubator ?
> >
> > Jira  (or brave: GH issues? Fluo can inform us)
>
> As far as I know, after we got everything set up (which, admittedly, I
> think was more tricky because pre-ASF "fluo" was already on Github, code
> and issues), GH issues have been smooth-sailing. As long as you're OK
> with closing issues via git commit message, anyways :)

Closing issues with FF merge or git commit message isn't a big deal, but
the biggest issue with using GH issues at ASF is the lack of ability to use
labels/milestones for issue-tracking/planning. Some of that can be done
manually with Wiki/mailing list, but it's kind of a pain. There can also be
a lot of duplicate spam to users if they subscribe to GH issues, and then
also subscribe to the mailing lists for activity notifications.