incubator-general mailing list archives

From Anthony Baker <aba...@pivotal.io>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Geode (incubating) 1.0.0-incubating
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2016 03:00:45 GMT
Justin, thanks for the quick review!  Comments inline.

> On Oct 21, 2016, at 5:15 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> +1 binding
>
> I checked:
> - files name contain incubating
> - signatures and hashes good
> - DISCLAIMER exists
> - NOTICE and LICENSE have some very minor issues (see below)
> - No unexpected binary files
> - All Apache files have ASF headers
> - Can compile from source
>
> Minor license issues:
> - How is this this file licensed? [1]

screen.css comes from Swagger which is licensed ASLv2.

> - Looks like the bundled version of bootstrap is Apache licensed and not MIT licensed
as mentioned  in the LICENSE file.
> - License is missing MIT/GPL licensed jQuery hashchange bundled inside this file [2]

Good catch, filed GEODE-2028.

> I didn’t fine check the release binary but from a casual glance it looks OK. The NOTICE
file seems to have some unnecessary information in it and is overly long at a guess.

> I also noticed this in NOTICE:
> Morfologik uses data from Polish ispell/myspell dictionary
>  (http://www.sjp.pl/slownik/en/) licenced on the terms of (inter alia)
>  LGPL and Creative Commons ShareAlike.
>
> Which may notbe allowed as CCSA is now category B in binary form only, but I assuming
that you haven’t actually bundled a polish dictionary in the binary.

Much of the text in the NOTICE is propagated from Apache Lucene (https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/lucene/NOTICE.txt
<https://github.com/apache/lucene-solr/blob/master/lucene/NOTICE.txt>).  I think their
NOTICE needs to updated to reflect that http://www.sjp.pl/slownik/en/ <http://www.sjp.pl/slownik/en/>
now supports 5 licenses including ASLv2.  We don’t bundle the morfologik analyzer (only
core, analyzers-common, queryparser, and queries) but it’s hard to tell which parts of the
notice map to which lucene component.