incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Thu, 15 Sep 2016 14:21:27 GMT
On 2016-09-15 14:15, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Incubator PMC,
>
> On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Geertjan Wielenga
> <geertjan.wielenga@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> ... https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/NetBeansProposal ...
>
> At this point I ask anyone with concerns or questions that haven't
> been addressed so far and would prevent us from voting on this
> proposal to chime in.
>
> Based on the discussions in this thread we have added Mark Struberg
> and Jim Jagielski to the proposal as mentors. Daniel Gruno mentioned
> the need for someone from ASF infra as a mentor, if needed it's easy
> to add a mentor later, or Daniel just confirm if you want to join.
> Emmanuel L├ęcharny was unsure and hasn't confirmed AFAICS, he can also
> be removed from the list later on easily if he wants to leave, that's
> no big deal.
>
> I have changed the SIR03 special infrastructure requirement (migration
> of plugins.netbeans.org) to exclude it from the incubation process as
> discussed here - we have envisioned possible solutions and realized
> that incubating NetBeans is not necessarily dependent on that, and I
> think the project can address this in due time.

One potential caveat is that plugins.netbeans.org, which is currently hosted by
Oracle, will have to remain active as is, at least for the time being.
But the transfer of the netbeans.org domain to the ASF also is part of the proposal.
So, how will that work, and can (and will) Oracle remain hosting and managing it
while the domain ownership has moved to Apache?
Or maybe the domain transfer needs to be postponed, for this one reason?

Furthermore, AFAICT all of the netbeans.org portal is hosted/running on Kenai.
And Kenai is slated to be shutdown by Oracle next year April.
So one way or the other, we (Apache, NetBeans project) will need to think of how
to play this out.