incubator-general mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <cons...@wadechandler.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 11:21:56 GMT
On Sep 14, 2016, at 04:02, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:

> [...]
Apache infrastructure

>> This looks to be an interesting. Are the plugins gated by license? Any
>> vetting going on? Is there a history of DMCA requests being served by
>> things uploaded to plugins.nb.o? How much bandwidth does this site
>> consume? Are their folks who can maintain this site from bare metal up
>> in the project?...
>
> The plugins.netbeans.org site says "plugins provided by community
> members and third-party companies" so I doubt Oracle has the rights to
> donate all that code to us. Sorry that we missed that during the
> proposal preparation phase.

This is like uploading to Maven central or r.m.a.o and distributing binaries which are uploaded
from community members, such as myself. How does repo.maven.apache.org <http://repo.maven.apache.org/>
work? All I really know it is hosted by way of a fastly.net <http://fastly.net/> account,
but I don’t know if that is infra ASF provides or a 3rd party thing. That is perhaps a rough
equivalent depending on the way binaries get there though. For example, these are not donated
to Apache:
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/oracle/ojdbc14/10.2.0.2.0/ <http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/oracle/ojdbc14/10.2.0.2.0/>
http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/microsoft/azure/ <http://repo.maven.apache.org/maven2/com/microsoft/azure/>

But, the main point is these are binaries which someone/system most likely uploaded through
an automated way or browser or something else manually, and are distributed to Maven builds
which request them. The sources and javadocs JAR files may end up there too in various forms
of licenses.

> If that's correct I would suggest keeping the plugins.netbeans.org
> migration out of the incubation proposal, and letting Apache NetBeans
> handle that later. That might just be suggesting to move that code to
> GitHub and creating an alternate plugin installation mechanism that
> grabs whatever it needs there.
>
> It looks like those plugins are clearly "code associated with an
> Apache project" once NetBeans migrates to the ASF, but code that
> probably shouldn't belong to the ASF.
>
> Owners of specific plugins will still be able to donate them as well,
> separately, once Apache NetBeans is established, via our IP clearance
> mechanism, http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/

Just to clarify, these are dynamic extensions created for the IDE. This is the same as plugins
for Maven. netbeans.org <http://netbeans.org/> doesn’t host our code, but only our
binaries in “plugin” form, and then links to our projects.

I am but a community member, so what ever is decided works obviously, but I wanted to clarify
and point to similarities.

Thanks,

Wade