incubator-general mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 03:57:06 GMT
On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 8:35 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Excellent cliff notes, and I'm really glad to see us surfacing the
> issues - and costs - of incubating such a large podling.
>
> Question: do you have a rough forecast of how long this expense/extra
> infra burden will last?  I.e. is this likely something we'll bear for
> 3-4 years and then we'll have migrated everything to a better home, or
> is this a long-term cost due to how big it all is?

My guess is that the first 6 months is the most expensive as it
involves a lot of time from infrastructure to migrate resources or
figure out alternatives. My guess is, based on Daniels estimate, that
first year is 13-30k - each year thereafter is 3-10k per year in costs
(whether those be monetary, staff time, or in-kind)
Any service that we stand up and migrate I assume is staying forever
or only growing larger.

--David