incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Preliminary NetBeans cost findings
Date Mon, 26 Sep 2016 14:40:36 GMT
On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 1:52 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 5:57 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:
>> ...My guess is, based on Daniels estimate, that
>> first year is 13-30k - each year thereafter is 3-10k per year in costs..
>
> Are these estimates sufficient for our infra team to give us their ok
> to proceed with the NetBeans vote, or do you guys need more time?
>
> I'm asking because
>
> a) discussions about the current proposal are currently going into all
> kinds of side tracks which are not really useful as far as informing
> the NetBeans vote decision, IMO
>
> and b) as it's the first time we do such an assessment for an incoming
> podling, IMO we shouldn't make NetBeans wait more than strictly
> needed, while we refine this costing thing internally.
>
> So my suggestion is for infra (David or Greg) to give us their ok to
> proceed with the vote if you guys agree, and sort out the (important)
> budget details internally in parallel.
>

The Office of the President doesn't have any oversight over PMCs, so
strictly speaking the IPMC can proceed with this however it likes on
whatever timetable it sees fit. However, please don't be surprised
if/when we deny requests to Infrastructure because they exceed what we
have available in time/staff/money; we're also likely to push a number
of tasks down to the podling itself.

With my VP Infra/member/IPMC member hats on, I'd prefer seeing the
plan for plugins.nb.o in place before you consider this. As Greg said
elsewhere, I don't think that piece can be ignored - it's vital to the
community, and any agreement would need to be formally agreed to by
the foundation (similar to the contract we have with Sonatype) if the
project moved here. I'd also point out the comments from Ross to the
IPMC about budget and get that squared away before you proceed.

--David

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message