incubator-general mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 12:08:23 GMT
Hi John,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:12 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I'm also concerned about the press that this is causing, for instance at
> [1].  This is already being compared to OpenOffice...

As you can imagine, we did envision such comparisons being made, both
projects being donated by the same company.

But I think that's as far as the similarity goes, OpenOffice and
NetBeans are *very* different beasts, from many angles.

I don't think worrying about what Twitter says is a relevant concern.
And if it was, what should the Incubator do about it anyway?

My suggestion is to do our best to provide a good space for NetBeans
to flourish, as the ASF's mission requires, and ignore the noise.

In French we say "bien faire et laisser braire" which roughly
translates to "do a good job and ignore the gossip" - I'm in that camp
;-)

-Bertrand