incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 18:40:02 GMT
On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Wade Chandler
<consult@wadechandler.com> wrote:
> Do you mean from the stand point of it being a Java based application, or that some how
> NetBeans and the Java TCK are related? I don’t think either is an impact on NetBeans
IMHO;
> not any more than it is for the Eclipse IDE or IntelliJ. Do you mean because it is being
contributed
> by Oracle perhaps? If so, does the donor have as much impact on contributions as that
once
> adopted by Apache? I may be misunderstanding what you are asking. I am not an employee
> of Oracle; just an NB contributor.

I think the question is more along the lines of what else would be
required to produce a "canonical"
release of Apache Netbeans. If everything that is required is being
donated -- I think we're good.
IOW, the project must be self-contained and not depend on anything
still left behind the firewall
to do on-going development and most important releases. E.g. if I send
you a patch -- you can't
reject it on the grounds that some test behind Oracle's frewall I've
never seen failed. Stuff like
that.

On a related note, I haven't seen it explicitly  mentioned in the
proposal, but I hope you guys do
realize that once this project is accepted the Netbeans brand belongs
to Apache. IOW, if Oracle
or anybody else ever want to have an independent product based on
Apache Netbeans they will
have to call it something else.

Thanks,
Roman.