incubator-general mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <cons...@wadechandler.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 13:51:20 GMT

> On Sep 14, 2016, at 09:38, Wade Chandler <consult@wadechandler.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 14, 2016, at 09:28, Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org <mailto:humbedooh@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> On 09/14/2016 03:17 PM, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
>>> NetBeans.org <http://netbeans.org/> has forums that mirror the mailing
lists (well, not always,
>>> sometimes we've had syncing problems). My feeling is that since Apache
>>> doesn't support forums, we could simply drop them. No need to convert the
>>> forums to mailing lists, instead our mailing lists will need to be moved if
>>> possible to Apache's mailing lists, while the forums can simply be dropped.
>>> That would be my proposal for this, though some NetBeans community members
>>> may differ and indeed it will be good to explicitly list this so that we
>>> can track it when moving forward into incubation.
>>
>> While not a forum in the traditional sense, lists.apache.org <http://lists.apache.org/>
does offer
>> interacting with lists without having to use a separate mail client. You
>> just log in via oauth and then read/write stuff :)
>>

> Wow…all these years using the Apache lists in some way or another I never knew about
that. That is pretty cool, and I do think it could replace forums. Certainly users have to
get used to anything new. I think the Apache OAuth button, and the Mozilla Persona buttons,
should perhaps be slightly different. The button itself could read “Apache Commiters Login”
with a sub-link bottom right justified “using Apache OAuth” and “Apache Users Login”
and a sub-link bottom right justified “using Mozilla Persona”; just to make it more intuitive,
but certainly works, and is awesome! I had never used Persona, but it was easy to setup and
get going.

Hmm, so it seems if I’m subscribed to a list the message goes through without a hiccup,
but if not, then it takes a good bit if it will be delivered at all. Does anyone know if you
are not subscribed to a list if you can start conversations in other lists from lists.apache.org
<http://lists.apache.org/>?

Thanks,

Wade