incubator-general mailing list archives

From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2016 12:59:18 GMT
On 24.09.2016 05:34, Wade Chandler wrote:
[...]
> I ask these obvious rhetorical questions to get to this point: Would it be
> feasible for NetBeans to succeed among competing projects with such a
> stipulation that all hosted or distributed plugins be contributed to Apache
> or licensed the same? Without an ecosystem and infrastructure that doesn't
> force everyone into the same model, which is why the Apache license has
> been so successful on a different level IMO, and Maven and Gradle on a
> similar level, then I don't see such a project succeeding considering its
> user base and use cases.

For me the problem is that without plugins you have only the bare
plattform and no IDE.If you want to still be able to distribute an IDE
with the same plugins as today, you will need to relicense some of the
(L)GPled plugins to apache or rewrite them. The "All" version according
to https://netbeans.org/downloads/ comes with Java, HTML5/Javascript,
PHP, C/C++ and Groovy. And already for those plugins we have a good mix
of GPL, LGPL and CDDL. I will become a problem if there will be an
netbeans IDE download that mixes these through.

I really only want to hear, that these plugins will be migrated as part
of netbeans incubation as well, or what the plans for these are.

I am sure there will be a solution for the hosting of the plugins.

bye Jochen