incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ate Douma <...@douma.nu>
Subject Re: Git release candidate tagging policy? [was: Re: [VOTE] Apache BatchEE 0.4-incubating]
Date Tue, 27 Sep 2016 19:20:59 GMT
Hi Mark,

On 2016-09-27 09:44, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Hi Ate!
>
> It's quite natural that many other projects just point to DeltaSpike.
> DS was in 2011 amongst the very first projects using GIT at the ASF.
>
> One of the results of this effort (together with the CouchDB community) was following
document
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Git_At_Apache_Guide
>
> Note the paragraph "Tagging during a VOTE":
> "Please note that the only officially result of an ASF release is the source tarball!
These zipped and signed sources are also the only thing a VOTE is upon. All other artifacts
produced during a build are just nice to have goodies which are no official ASF products.
This includes the TAG on any SCM hosted at the ASF or elsewhere"

> This (and many other GIT questions) also got heavily discussed at the 2014 ApacheConEU.
> Search the private repos for "[DISCUSS] sandbox GIT repo for each of our projects using
GIT".
> And you will find many other GIT discussions in that timeframe around Mid 2012 and Nov/Dec
2014.
> There have been dozen other times when this did pop up, e.g. search "Immediate change
to git".

> And it also just recently (August 2016) got discussed on this very list here. See the
"Ease of release process and exit criteria" thread.

Thanks for the clear pointers: that'll get me going :-)

> But I agree it might be time to collect all these informations together and write an
incubator compendium for it.

Yeah I think so.

I've just reviewed and gave a +1 a release candidate for Streams, which now
possibly might not yet be in line with the suggested Git tagging policy...

I now will have to check again for this too.
And if it isn't, well. That would rather annoying, because it hasn't been
documented in the incubator guidelines yet.

Ate