incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2016 19:17:38 GMT
Good point:

The ASF (actually the single PMCs of the ASF) do handle trademark rules pretty strictly:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

The main reason is that we

a.) need to defend the marks, otherwise they vanish and could be (ab-)used by anyone
b.) as a non-for-profit organisation we must act for the public good, and must not allow a
single company to have any advantage over others. If we don't act accordingly we might loose
our 501(c) status.

The same is btw true for other non-for-profit OSS foundations, even if they don't realise
it (and then get beaten up by IRS).

LieGrue,
strub