incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roberto Attias <roberto_att...@yahoo.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: finding a Champion
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2016 15:48:13 GMT
Hi John,thanks for your reply. Here is a brief description of the project and its current state.

Project Description
The project consists of a framework for concurrent and distributed tracing. I've been working
on tracing at CISCO and Facebook for the last few years, and am now in the process of moving
somewhere else, hence I'm interested in consolidating the experience I've accumulated into
a new, open source framework with clean room implementation.

The framework comprises of:
   - a producer API to instrument distributed system with, with support for all major programming
languages. The API allows for pluggable sinks to target generation of traces in local files,
integration with Kafka, or other event buses.in case of use of an event bus, a distributed
service that consumes from it and stores in a persistent storage. The service will provide
support for event storage, integrating with various storage, including Apache HBase

   - A distributed service for batch trace analysis. This service continuously runs analysis
script on traces flowing through the event bus. scripts can be dynamically added by users.
   - A set of trace visualization tools.

One of the goals for this framework is the ability to scale from single-host applications,
where it would not require running any server, to large scale distributed environment where
it would allow running a fault-tolerant set of services.
Process State
The framework is in its early stage of development, but one element exist that will serve
as bases for one the visualization tools. MSCViewer is and open source, trace visualization
and analysis tool on Github. The tool is currently in use inside CiSCO. See https://github.com/rattias/mscviewer,
and it's manual: https://github.com/rattias/mscviewer/blob/master/doc/manual/mscviewer.pdf

What I'm looking for
At this stage I'm looking for mainly for feedback on whether a project in this early stage
can or should be an Apache Incubation Project, and if so how to find a champion for it. If
projects have to be more mature to enter the incubation stage I'll keep working on it and
come back later.
Thanks,                    Roberto