incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de.INVALID>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache NetBeans Incubator Proposal
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:55:02 GMT
Daniel of course has a much deeper expertise for infra as I'm mostly an occasional tinkerer
and Daniel is one of our core server admins.

Feel free to swap me out in favour of him.

I expect that we go through different phases

1.) lots of legal questions, code provenance and CLA checks, IP reviews etc

2.) Migrating hg to git. Not a big deal actually. Just add a github repo for it and add the
hg url. Github does it for you. Then git clone this and move it to our canonical GIT repos.
There was also a fast-export tool over at Petrs git repo ages ago.

3.) Identify and fix core parts which we cannot get re-licensed under ALv2 but cannot be kept
due to legal questions.
Raphael is most probably right that NetBeans and OpenOffice share similar aspects when it
comes to the setup. NetBeans is such a big project that we probably should get in touch with
them as well.

4.) Migrate the community! THAT will be some serious effort I think. Many people are not aware
of the pros and cons of running inside a well structured OSS foundation. Some people initially
only see the positive aspects, others only the negative ones. The truth is: there is no free
lunch. If you add structure you will loose flexibility. Without structure otoh you will melt
down quickly.

5.) Build releases and distribute them.

6.) Empower the community to be able to manage itself in the spirit of a true ASF project.

LieGrue,
strub