incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Ease of release process and exit criteria
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 23:28:30 GMT
In the JDO project, we have detailed build/release instructions, yet after several years, every
time we put out a release, there is something different. I think it’s the nature of software,
not only because the project changes ever so slightly but the dependencies also change underneath
you. So having a release process is a good start but as many others have pointed out, not
guaranteed.

Still, I think one exit criterion from incubation might well be: release instructions easy
enough for even a Mentor to follow. I’m picking on mentors here (I am one), but they have
all the karma needed but not necessarily the technical project skills. (That’s not what
mentors are for).

Craig

> On Aug 19, 2016, at 1:55 PM, Anthony Baker <abaker@pivotal.io> wrote:
>
> As a data point, for Apache Geode we have a detailed release page:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Release+Steps
>
> We’ve been rotating RM’s for each release and the notes get enhanced each time through
the process.

> Feedback welcome!
>
> Thanks,
> Anthony
>

>> On Aug 19, 2016, at 7:33 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:

>>> +1, this is a critical point to include.  We continue to see projects
>>> struggling with releases when early volunteers leave and no-one else
>>> really understands releases.
>>
>> So would graduation require that at least one IPMC member (not already in
>> the podling) can complete the release steps without getting an error?
>> Otherwise, there is a risk that folks point to a web page full of
>> instructions but nobody can actually get them to work.
>>
>> -Alex

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org