incubator-general mailing list archives

From Mike Jumper <mike.jum...@guac-dev.org>
Subject Re: Namespacing of subproject Docker images vs. Incubator policy
Date Mon, 29 Aug 2016 01:49:54 GMT
On Aug 28, 2016 5:58 PM, "Roman Shaposhnik" <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:

> First of all, the way apache org is setup on GitHub make me 99% sure
> that the only artifacts allowed there would be release ones.
>
> If we agree on that, I see no problem with
>    apache/incubator-foo
> naming of your *released* Docker images.

I definitely have no problem with adopting a "incubator-" prefix in
principle.

That said, released Maven artifacts for incubating projects are normally
named without the "incubator-" prefix, instead requiring "-incubating" as a
suffix for the version of the artifact.

Would that convention make sense here as well, with the incubating status
being given via the Docker image tag?

ie:

    apache/foo:0.1.0-incubating

rather than:

    apache/incubator-foo:0.1.0

?

> Note that there was a separate discussion focused on where is the right
> place for nightly/snapshot Docker builds to be deposited to.
>
> Sadly, that discussion bore no fruit :-(

That is unfortunate. Perhaps this one will?

The Incubator's release management guide has recommendations for version
numbering of non-release artifacts:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#notes-numbering-between-releases

Given that, wouldn't some explicit snapshot naming for the image tag be
sufficient for non-release automated builds from git?

I'd even argue that Docker Hub's automated build system is a third party
hosted CI, and that images produced through that system are no more
inherently release-specific than the artifacts of a Jenkins build. Release
vs. non-release should be declared through image tags, not its presence on
Docker Hub alone.

- Mike