incubator-general mailing list archives

From Christopher <ctubb...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ease of release process and exit criteria
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 16:27:07 GMT
On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 6:18 AM Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de.invalid>
wrote:

> Good links.
>
> I’d like to add some information for projects who use GIT with maven:
>
> First and important: configure the maven-release-plugin to operate
> ‚locally‘
> https://github.com/apache/deltaspike/blob/master/pom.xml#L123
>
> The important parts are
> <pushChanges>false</pushChanges>
> <localCheckout>true</localCheckout>

+1 This is super-critical for maven-release-plugin users. It'd be nice to
have these in the parent POM, but there is also a risk that the source code
which is actually used to create the release candidate is never pushed to
the repository. There's actually quite a few manual steps outside the
maven-release-plugin one must do in ASF to get things staged, uploaded, and
ready for a vote.

To solve this for Accumulo, I wrote a pretty comprehensive build script
that automates some of the manual steps we'd normally do with git during
and after the maven commands to stage the release candidate in Nexus:
https://s.apache.org/accumulo-build-script

Unfortunately, we've not done a good job of ensuring the documentation is
up-to-date to document this process manually. It's on my TODO list, though,
and I think it'd be great for incubating projects to ensure the steps
(whatever they are for their particular project) to create release
candidates is documented prior to graduation.