incubator-general mailing list archives

From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Is the incubator full?
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2016 21:41:41 GMT
On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:26 AM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> I'm wondering if the Apache Incubator is full right now?

It seems that this question gets asked about once a year. The consensus
always seems to be that this may not be the right question to ask. It is
sort of like asking whether Hadoop has too many lines of Java. On a more
serious note, I think that the takeaway from each of these threads over
the years has been that the right question to ask is whether we're providing
podlings with support they need to emerge as TLPs ASAP. I think that should
be the focus of IPMC. A maniacal focus on getting the projects out either as
TLPs or to the Attic should, indeed, be a constant priority for us. I know I'm
in the minority when I say this, but I think this should be one of the few areas
where IPMC and/or IPMC Chair gets to drive the inquiry as opposed to mentors
doing it. Wave sitting in the Incubator since 2010 is clearly NOT in anybody's
best interest.

A related question of how many TLPs can ASF support (in terms of INFRA,
process, etc.) is a good one, but goes outside of the the scope of IPMC in
my opinion.

Now that I'm done with generic statements a few comments in-line:

> I've noticed a few things:
>
> - There was a note a few months ago that the incubator does have a max
> capacity.  At that point, things start to slow down.
> - The discussions involved when a new project comes in have dwindled.
> - The number of eyes looking at releases have reduced.
>
> So I wonder, is the incubator full? Has capacity plateaued and we should
> discourage projects from joining?  Are there projects that we should
> strongly encourage to graduate?

I think you may be seeing signs of self-throttling. Basically if the
new proposal
comes in and there's nobody interested in mentoring it -- well the project won't
go in. In terms of reviewing releases -- Justin truly deserves a
medal, but aside
from his awesome efforts I actually see mentors fairly engaged
recently. Coincidentally
that's why I always advise podligns to ask for 3 mentors -- since those are the
guaranteed pairs of eyes and binding votes that the process requires.

All in call, I guess I just don't see anything that would make us
think of course-correction.

Thanks,
Roman.