incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache HAWQ (incubating) 2.0.0.0-incubating Release
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2016 22:52:22 GMT
Hi,

> If you're asking why adding ALv2 header is against the letter of the
> policy, the answer is simple.
> Quote:
>    "3.  Do not add the standard Apache License header to the top of
> third-party source files.”

In the case when they are not actually ALv2 licensed. It assumed that any files that is APLv2
license would already have a APLv2 header.

> Because I actually don't know what the original license on the file is.

That should ring alarm bells.

> IOW, I can't add ALv2 header because of #3 on the policy

No you can’t add ALv2 because you don’t know that the file is licensed under ALv2. Given
the age of some of the files (predating when ALv2 was created) it’s very likely that they
are not.

> I think documenting it in LICENSE should be enough, no?

Yep that’s one one of doing it. Again I don’t thing everything has to be solved for the
next release, but documenting the issues/what may be missing is probably the best way to go.

Thanks,
Justin