incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Ease of release process and exit criteria
Date Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:41:02 GMT

[ ... ]
> Note that in most projects we do _not_ push the release candidate
> directly to the ASF repo but e.g. to the release managers private github
> account.
> Reason is that we cannot easily get rid of it from the cannonical ASF
> repo if the VOTE fails.
> (ASF repos get mirrored downstream in seconds, and while we could
> technically remove it from our own repo we have no control over all the
> clones).
[orcmid]

The ASF SVN supports a staging process by which projects have a place to put dev-only builds
that are for testing and consideration as release candidates.  How that would tie into GIT-only
projects and Maven as used is a different matter and distinguishing between non-released developer
artifacts, release candidates, and releases seems to be much trickier.

Using AOO as an example, the place where artifacts for dev-only use and handling as release
candidates are at

 <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice>.  Release candidates on which deliberation
fails to achieve release approval can be deleted from there.

When a release candidate is identified and approved as a release, it is copied or moved to

 <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice> along with the signatures and
hashes that were with the candidate in the dev area.  (Using SVN, this is a cheap copy.)

That is the staging point for a general, public distribution.
Within something like 24-48 hours, the content of that release area is automatically mirrored

 <https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice>

And THAT is the official public availability point (with whatever mirroring and other downstream
distribution there happens to be).  That is where the indelible KEYS, hashes, signatures,
etc. are to be accessed and the material is preserved in perpetuity.

Deletions at dist.apache.org do not have any effect on the archive.apache.org artifacts, so
one can clean-up by removing those.  This is SVN so the artifacts are not completely gone,
but they are not available for mistaken download by direct access to those locations.