incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Releasing Apache Metron 0.2.0BETA-RC2
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2016 02:45:46 GMT
Hi,

-1 (binding) until MPL licensed source issue resolved.

I checked:
- name contains incubating
- signatures and hashes good
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE is OK, but look to be missing one permissive license? and assuming its ok it would
be best if the MPL was in another file.
- NOTICE is OK (but perhaps requires a notice from MPL?)
- All ASF source file have apache header
- No unexpected binary files
- Can compile from source

For the license I think this file [1] may incorrectly have an apache header. I’m also unsure
of it’s license, but it’s likely to be permissive [2] and needs to be mentioned in LICENSE.
Can you fix this in the next release please.

There is a more serious issue in that the source includes MPL licensed files.[4][5][6] This
is a category B license [3] and as such files under these terms can only included in binary
form, but they plain text. They are not small (10,000 lines) and given they contain list of
domain name it seems likely they they would change so I don’t think the last paragraph in
[3] applies either. It would also be a good idea to list where they come from.

Thanks,
Justin

1. ./metron-platform/metron-data-management/src/test/java/org/apache/metron/dataloads/extractor/stix/StixExtractorTest.java
2. http://stixproject.github.io/legal/
3. http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
4. ./metron-platform/metron-common/src/test/resources/effective_tld_names.dat
5. ./metron-platform/metron-enrichment/src/main/resources/effective_tld_names.dat
6. ./metron-platform/metron-parsers/src/test/resources/effective_tld_names.dat