incubator-general mailing list archives

From "John D. Ament" <johndam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Incubator Logo & Branding
Date Sat, 02 Jul 2016 02:42:22 GMT
On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 10:23 PM Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:06 PM, John D. Ament <johndament@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > As a follow up to the current discussions happening, I wanted to get
> > opinions from the IPMC on whether or not the Incubator logo should be
> > included in podling websites.
> >
> > Take https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/BrandingAuditJune2016 as a
> summary
> > of podling status.
> >
> > 29 podlings presently show the Incubator Logo.  1 podling uses a custom
> > version of the logo.  This means we're just above 50% matching.  The
> > branding guide indicates that this is a should, which essentially means
> > that unless there's some strong reason to not include, it is to be
> included
> > on the website.
> >
> > I believe the usage of the Incubator logo comes from including parent
> > project logos on sub-project websites, where podlings are essentially
> > sub-projects, but I can't find anything confirming this.
> >
> > If we are to require the logo to be present, we must spell out the URL to
> > the logo to use.  This may be a variety of logos, include transparency
> > effects, with and without borders, but we should guide projects on where
> > find them.
>
> In general, this is a good idea, but before we all just +1 the heck
> out of it, lets
> make sure that the intent doesn't penalize the podlings by creating an ugly
> visual layout for their websites.

Agreed, the discussion will be worthless if its just a series of +1's.  We
can vote when something's been figured out as working.  I suspect that will
be a rewrite of http://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#logos

> In my view, the best way to think about overall visual layout is along the
> lines
> suggested by Niall in a very much related discussion on Geode:
>    http://markmail.org/message/e4p5owz5swmcyb7d
>
> To quote:
> Going back to the incubator branding issue, I think Geode should
> incorporate the
> Incubator logo in its banner at the top of the page, with the aim of
> replacing it with
> one of the Apache feather logos when it graduates to a TLP.
>
> I think this is a brilliant way to solve it, but it will require us to
> do a bit of graphic design
> to dovetail the Incubator artwork into the ASF style. The current logo
> clearly doesn't
> cut it, but something along the lines of:
>     http://incubator.apache.org/images/apache-incubator.png
> actually might.

Well, i'm not sure that we're the ones to do the graphic design.  We may
want to say that one of the incubator logos needs to be incorporated into
your design.  You may want to consider that this logo will be replaced by
the ASF feather logo once you graduate to a TLP.

I also recall pinging Sally a long while ago about a new incubator logo
based on the new feather design.

John