incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Pony Mail (Incubating) 0.9.RC2 as 0.9
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2016 01:13:25 GMT

Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 07/17/2016 06:03 PM, Josh Elser wrote:
>> +1 (binding)
>
> Yay!
>
>> * Verified SHA1 and sig
>> * DISCLAIMER present
>> * LICENSE and NOTICE look good after glance through source release
>> * Didn't find anything to explicitly build or any automated tests to run
>> (maybe I missed them?)
>
> Pony Mail is strange (in ASF terms) in that there is nothing to build.
> It just runs :)
>
> We'd love some tests for the UI/UX, but...from what I gather, you have
> to be slightly mad to get into UI/UX testing short of manually testing
> as a human being. We are however looking into that (see dev@ponymail).

Yup, totally understand. Just wanted to double check instead of just
assuming :)

>> * Verified commit ID in repo
>>
>> Things to fix for your next release (I don't _think_ these need to block
>> this release -- but would happily be corrected)
>>
>> * What about the images in site/images? Were these generated from an SVG
>> -- what are their origins?
>
> This is home grown stuff. The Pony Mail logo itself should be in SVG
> somewhere (if not in that repo, then in the site repo). I don't think
> there are any "sources" for the rest, maybe I have some Gimp/Photoshop
> files on my old hard-drive.

Cool. This seems like a good idea for most. Having an SVG is a nice way
to let people tweak over time (hopefully lowering the barrier to entry?)

>> * Need license headers:
>>      - site/js/dev/combine.sh
>>      - dockerfiles/debian/Dockerfile
>>      - dockerfiles/ponymail_httpd_docker.conf
>>      - docs/*
>>      - CHANGELOG.md
>
> Change-logs do typically not (at least in the ASF projects I've been
> involved with) carry a license header (who is going to use it??).
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#faq-exceptions allows for
> this exception, I believe. We believe the same could apply to the docs/*
> stuff, which is why we haven't done it yet (we felt that it "cluttered"
> the docs, making them harder to read, and also that it was clear from
> them what they related to. The policy page states: "The expectation is
> that these files make it obvious which product they relate to") but
> we'll err on placing a short form license header in the next release :).

Understood. I think I just pulled up CHANGES from another project, saw
the header, and just mentioned it. Thanks for citing me the docs on it!
Seeing some more headers in the next release is fabulous.

>> Assorted other comments
>>
>> * Any instructions on the provided Dockerfile? :)
>>      - I did get it running, but can't seem to access it via my host
>> machine, only from within the container. Probably something I did (or
>> didn't do), but this seems like it would be a nice entry-point for users
>> to mess around.
>
> I hate Docker - there, I said it :p
> There is some way to finagle your way to open a port in the container
> and bind it to a port on your local machine, but I forget how, sorry.
> If I figure it out, I'll put it in the docs for next release (or someone
> else could do it, patches welcome :) ).

Haha, a soft spot :). I had messed around with -P on my `docker run`
which I thought was supposed to do that, but :shrug:. I assumed it was
meant to be some in-place example; but I completely understand if it's
provided as-is too! If I remember to circle around, I'll shoot at patch
over to dev@ponymail.