incubator-general mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.6.0 (incubating) - rc1
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2016 15:42:18 GMT
Hi,

+1 (binding) with reservations.

* xsums/sigs match
* KEYS contains necessary sig
* DISCLAIMER present
* Verified (lack of) NOTICE files for bundled ASLv2 code for all but one
case. See next section for the issue.
* Was able to build and run tests
* Ran rat-check

Now, all of the below should be addressed before your next release.
Please reach out with how/where you track these so I can follow the
podling's progress on the fixes.

* Re: copying NOTICE from your ASL bundlings: I did find
https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-security/blob/master/notice.txt which,
I believe, your NOTICE file should also be including. (ps this is from
your PasswordComparisonAuthenticator.java file from spring-security).
Was this an omission or am I looking at the wrong version of the
spring-security project from which you copied the file?
* Did you intend for the .idea directory to be included with your
source-release? Some extraneous.
* LICENSE contains unnecessary ASLv2-licensed references. Remove them
before the next release (repeat of Joe)
* Backbone.Marionette LICENSE entry omits Copyright information (as the
others have present)
* ./security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/esprima/esprima.js is BSD
licensed but does not appear in LICENSE (best as I can tell)
*
./security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/bower/jquery-ui/css/jquery-ui.css
is MIT licensed an does not appear in LICENSE (best as I can tell)
* Why does hive-agent/derby.log exist? It looks like this is an artifact
created during testing (it doesn't exist in your source tree, and was
created on my build). You should move this into target/ and not
distribute it with your source-release.
* Again, echo'ing Joe, I'm not sure what to say about
./security-admin/src/main/webapp/fonts. Are they OK to redistribute in
this binary form as a Category-B (what is the source form of a Font? Is
this something to worry about?).
* Why don't the following have ASL headers?
	- ugsync/ldapconfigchecktool/ldapconfigcheck/dependency-reduced-pom.xml
	- ./security-admin/src/main/webapp/robots.txt

Some nit-picky things/recommendations:

* I would recommend going through your apache-rat-plugin exclusions list
and try to prune out as much as possible. There are a few exclusions
which gave me pause (but do contained licensed files), e.g. '**/bin/**',
'**/test/resources/**'. The rat-plugin should be your friend.
* The MIT License section of your LICENSE file has "MIT License" on
every line which seems unnecessary to me :)

- Josh

Velmurugan Periasamy wrote:
> Incubator PMC:
>
> Apache Ranger community has voted on and approved a proposal to release Apache Ranger
0.6.0 (incubating).

> [VOTE RESULT] thread:
>      https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/c21a99659362bcd2fef0119d9937b9ab245c99400902cf75a7e77910@%3Cdev.ranger.apache.org%3E
>
> Apache ranger-0.6.0-rc1 release candidate is now available with the following artifacts
up for IPMC vote. I kindly request that the Incubator PMC members review and vote on this
incubator release.