incubator-general mailing list archives

From Nick Kew <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept Traffic Control into the Apache Incubator
Date Sat, 09 Jul 2016 08:08:25 GMT
On Fri, 2016-07-08 at 18:16 -0600, Jan van Doorn wrote:

> I don't think the association with ATS would hold us back, but I do think it could give
prospective users of Traffic Control the impression that it only works with ATS. This is true
now, but won't be in the future.

I'm not sure a bit of internal organisation will make much difference
once you start listing TC+TS and TC+Other as equally valid options.
But I don't want to make an issue of it.

> Only one or two people actively work on both projects, the development communities are
mostly separate.

OK, thanks.

> I'm not familiar with the HTTPD and APR history, is there a lesson we should learn from
that?

The main issue we've found is that with a close relationship and with
a large overlap between the dev teams, we've often found a development
in HTTPD driving one in APR, even to the point of "we need a new APR
release that'll support [new HTTPD feature]".  At the same time, the
original reason for the separation - that APR has applications outside
httpd (Apache SVN being one such) - works well.

On reflection, you probably have a cleaner separation than that anyway.

+1 (binding) to your vote.

--
Nick Kew