incubator-general mailing list archives

From Donal Fellows <donal.k.fell...@manchester.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 15:31:57 GMT
Stian Soiland-Reyes <stain@apache.org> wrote:
> But is "Public Domain" valid outside US?  Should we append ASF headers
on it? (That should be allowed if it's PD.. at least if that is done
by an USAnian)

It certainly isn't on some jurisdictions (Germany is the most notable one) but I would expect
any German court to at least try to comply with the spirit of the intended licence (e.g.,
no economic claims) as the jurisdictions that are issuing the licence (arguably the USA and
the UK) have the concept. The real main difference with German law is over the author's rights,
but it is only the authors who really have the standing to complain about them in the first
place, and they've publicly said they won't...

International law in relation to software licences is complex. Of you are really worried,
you should seek professional advice. I knows I am not the person to offer such advice!

Donal.