incubator-general mailing list archives

From Velmurugan Periasamy <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Request to review updated License (Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ranger 0.5.3 (incubating))
Date Thu, 23 Jun 2016 00:51:44 GMT
Thank you everyone for the really helpful feedback.

I will work with Ranger Dev community to address below concerns raised in this thread.

1] Review and verify all licenses listed in LICENSE are for bundled dependencies only
2] The code in question ( ./apache-ranger-incubating-0.5.3/security-admin/src/main/webapp/libs/other/visualsearch/css/reset.css)
doesn't have a license. I’d contact the author to conform or replace with a version with
a known license.
3] LICENSE missing the actual BSD text (Make sure full text of each license has been placed
somewhere)
4] Add a README.txt to the folder https://github.com/apache/incubator-ranger/tree/master/security-admin/src/main/webapp/fonts/fontopensans

Thank you,
Vel

On Jun 22, 2016, at 8:03 AM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I think these lines for "The Apache License 2.0" for the non-ASF are
>> misleading (everything else is also Apache License) and is not
>> required by the Apache license.
>
> While it’s not in line with current policy, it's not a licensing error to list them.
Several projects do list them.

> It may actually useful in some cases as products (i.e. bootstrap and select2) have changed
licenses over time. It's also useful for binary files like OpenSans where the license may
not be obvious by inspection.

>> and if they already have a NOTICE
>
> None of them (expect Spring Security) have NOTICE files that I can see. The Spring Security
NOTICE may not have anything that needs to be propagated. [1]

>> I would be brave and add their copyright to their files
>
> This has come up before on the list (and legal discuss) and the decision was not to add
the license/copyright headers. but there’s probably several ways of dealing with this issue.