incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Worked LICENSE and NOTICE example
Date Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:34:32 GMT
Hi,

> Someday a tool to codify this into a wizard like thing would be awesome. :)

IMO (and I know others have different opinions) I don’t think that actually possible other
than in simple cases. if you know the policy it’s reasonably obvious what needs to be done
and a tool would not actually be helpful.

Also there’s often more than one way to comply with both 3rd party license legal obligations
and ASF policy. Just look at for instance the variation in top level projects LICENSE and
NOTICE files.

Sometimes it’s not known what may be required without some discussion. Some of this knowledge
is not clearly documented or rather clearly communicatted.

Thanks,
Justin