incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Taverna Command-line Tool 3.1.0-incubating RC3
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 15:49:07 GMT
On 20 June 2016 at 16:31, Donal Fellows
<donal.k.fellows@manchester.ac.uk> wrote:
>> But is "Public Domain" valid outside US?  Should we append ASF headers
> on it? (That should be allowed if it's PD.. at least if that is done
> by an USAnian)
> It certainly isn't on some jurisdictions (Germany is the most notable one) but I would
expect any German court to at least try to comply with the spirit of the intended licence
(e.g., no economic claims) as the jurisdictions that are issuing the licence (arguably the
USA and the UK) have the concept. The real main difference with German law is over the author's
rights, but it is only the authors who really have the standing to complain about them in
the first place, and they've publicly said they won't...
> International law in relation to software licences is complex. Of you are really worried,
you should seek professional advice. I knows I am not the person to offer such advice!

I'll rely on https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#can-works-placed-in-the-public-domain-be-included-in-apache-products
saying Public Domain OK with attribution, and hope the fact that ASF
(and the author of json2.js) is based in US keeps the lawyers away :-)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718