incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Worked LICENSE and NOTICE example
Date Mon, 27 Jun 2016 10:29:04 GMT
Perhaps showing a negative example of a resource you then realize you
can't add, e.g. you find a picture on flickr.com that you want to
bundle, but it's classified as CC Non-Commercial; so you find one that
you CAN include instead, but need to provide attribution for it.

Also propagation of NOTICE, e.g. you want to add

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-common-activities/blob/master/taverna-interaction-activity/src/main/resources/interaction.css

but then you will need to propagate (parts of)

https://github.com/apache/incubator-taverna-common-activities/blob/master/NOTICE

Your tutorial would be great to show at ApacheCon at the Incubator session, btw.

On 23 June 2016 at 07:49, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Great idea, Justin!
>
> Thanks! I’m considering making several examples, perhaps a few other people can help
me out?

>> What about including an example in the NOTICE about the inclusion of a
>> non-permissive 3rd party license (e.g., LGPL)?
>
> You can’t have a dependancy (other than optional) on or include non permissive licenses
like LGPL. Even if it’s an optional dependancy nothing would go in NOTICE as it’s not
bundled.

> I could make an example with Category B licenses (weak copy left) as I’ve not covered
that yet.

> Thanks,
> Justin

Stian Soiland-Reyes