incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SVN Change?
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 23:07:45 GMT
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:58 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM, William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@rowe-clan.net>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jun 4, 2016 at 10:21 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>
>> wrote:

>> marvin@rectangular.com>

>> and
>> > whole

>> > Yeah, it's just `svn rm FULL_URL`.  I took care of it.
>> >
>> > Please folks: always preview before you commit. With Subversion,
>> > that's `svn diff`.
>> >

>> The way to revert without causing a huge update is to remove the target
>> tree, and
>> svn cp -r{rev-before-break} https://s.a.o/r/a/tlp/o/trunk
>> https://s.a.o/r/a/tlp/o/trunk
>> which basically backspaces between what was messed up to what should now
>> be
>> present, which is usually a minimal delta to most people's checkouts
>>

> Those instructions are completely wrong :-(
>
> There were changes after the breakage, and the above would have reverted
> those.

And note: even if you caught it before further changes were made, by
removing trunk, then copying another trunk back in ... it *completely*
messes with history. "trunk" would be based on a copy, and that is a
*significant* change. Such copies are why "svn log" has a switch named
--stop-on-copy.

So no. Never rm trunk and copy from old. Use reverse merges.

-g