incubator-general mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Lack of karma to manage LDAP groups as a mentor impediment
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 17:21:23 GMT
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm a little frustrated as this has just hit me across three different
> podlings in the past two days. Because I'm not a PMC chair, I don't have the
> ability to actually modify LDAP groups to grant the necessary karma to
> podling members to commit, access Jenkins, etc (e.g. modify_appgroups.pl)
>
> I'm not sure where to start with making this better, but I'm happy to engage
> whoever necessary to try to make sure that all mentors have the ability to
> help their podlings.

This typically comes up only for a minority of committers:

*   People who became committers on another Apache TLP before becoming a
    committer on an Incubator podling (as opposed to people who join the
    Incubator first and are thus already in the `incubator` ldap group after
    Secretary processes their ICLA.)
*   People who need to access Jenkins and thus need `modify_appgroups.pl` run.

The stopgap is that we have a number of PMC Chairs on the IPMC, and if you
send a request to private@incubator someone can take care of it for you.  The
volume so far has been manageable.

Marvin Humphrey