incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Trafodion 2.0.1 (incubating)
Date Thu, 16 Jun 2016 22:32:21 GMT
HI,

> Maybe we need clarification from legal? BSD 4 clause is just 3 clause w/
> additional ask to not use UoC to endorse.  It seems still in line w/ AL so
> I would assume no problems.

The 4 clause BSD license is considered category X other than in a couple of cases i.e. OpenSSL
where the project has said it’s OK to use the NOTICE file to deal with that extra clause
or in this case where the clause has been later removed. So in most cases it can’t be included
in Apache software. The newer BSD 2 clause and 3 clause licenses are of course fine.

There's a recent discussion about this on the legal discuss list. [1]

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201606.mbox/%3c749a6c00d2595a4b39533e26f4e5e0dc@mail.gmail.com%3e